9.08.2011

The Unknown

In the past two weeks I have had art 2 shows.  I normally don't do shows close together because my jewelry sells well at shows, and I need time to build inventory between shows. So it was a very busy two weeks, of making jewelry.

Since my sister was here helping me with my shows, I recruited her to help me make jewelry.  She always tells me she can't because she not creative, but she proved herself wrong this trip.  She decided she wanted to make something for herself and started making a little collection.

When I saw what she was making, I told her that they were super cute and we needed to sell them at the show. She did not agree, but I made her put them in the show anyway.  Her mini collection sold really well, and her items was the most looked at collection for the day. 

She really fought me about selling them, telling me they weren't good enough, that she did not like them, and that no one would want them.  She even tried to under price them, but that was unacceptable.

My sisters very cute collection
I really pushed her out of her comfort zone and into the unknown world of creating.  Even though she felt uncomfortable about sharing her creations, they were a huge success. By the end of the show she was surprised and thrilled.

We need to step into the unknown to discover new things about ourselves and our creative venture.  Trying new things is one of the most important things you can do for your creative spirit.

What have you done lately that pushed you out of your comfort zone?


Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

11 comments:

  1. Extreme work schedule change. Still getting used to it, but I want to get to the point where I don't have to force myself to create everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Everyone is creative, even those who do not think so! Your sister now knows she is creative!!! ~Val

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great you pushed her out of her comfort zone. But where are the pictures of what she created? Readers want to see!

    I'm working on getting enough rest and not pushing myself to create everyday, even though I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I snickered when I read this. My sister bought me a bunch of jewelry making supplies. I have dabbled in it, but it is just not my outlet!

    I am glad your sisters creative awakening happened with your encouragement. Hope you shows were great!



    <><
    http://christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I moved from the East Coast to the Mid-West, joined a new Mother's of Multiples group, yesterday I drove through the city alone for the first time, LOL! I am always pushing myself. Maybe my comfort zone is the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a great motivational story, and even better that it's a true story. I guess it's time for me to get that quilt finished, one that I dread finishing because it is not turning out like I wanted. But maybe someone will love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda B,your right. I just took a picture and added it to the post. Thanks for the reminder.

    Thanks everyone for sharing your stories of venturing into the unknown.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Could we have a closer look at your sister's creations?
    Stina

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this is so refreshing! I find it most inspiring when I see someone's happiness out of a challenge they thought they wouldn't be able to finish. And craft shows... I would love to go to but we don't really have that many in Norway. In fact just a few around Christmas.

    As far as my comfort zone... I am out of it for a third week in a row - jogging each morning, fighting with my wish to stop, to jog less, to do something instead...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely collection! But more so its so amazing when people are pushed out of their comfort zones, they can accomplish so much more than they think!! I think networking right now is pushing me out of my comfort zone, in terms of physically going to a networking event because its something new for me. :)

    <3 Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, how awesome for your sister! I bet her jewelry's popularity at the show made her feel great. :) I, for one, love her pieces - they're fantastic and very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!