2.11.2011

Be an Active Listener

Inspiration may be as near as your next conversation.

Everyone has a story to tell.  Some stories are more interesting then others, but the human experience is a rich source of inspiration.

This weekend talk to a couple of artists about what inspires them.  You will gain a new perspective on the creativity of others and have the opportunity to absorb new information.

Be an active listener.  Which means absorbing the words, perspective, and story of the people you are talking to without interruption or judgement.

Need some ideas to get you started?

Connect with artists online, take a class, visit a gallery, attend a open studio, craft fair, or craft supply shop.

Have a couple questions in mind to get the conversation started.

What is your personal favorite work or art?
Where do you find your inspiration?
What is your favorite material or tool and why?

Your next idea may come from someone you have a conversation with this weekend.  All you have to do is ask a question.


I'm ready to listen.  What is your favorite thing about creating?


<-----  Participate in my New Poll
Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Inspiration....I'm writing about my inspirations on my blog this month, I did not think about inspiration through conversations. I'm such a visual person, your post has me thinking about the human side of design. Thanks for sharing this new perspective on inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about creating is the spontaneity of it. Often I will pick up some wire and start to work on a piece, with a clear idea in mind about what I am creating, and then somewhere along the way, it turns into something completely different and wonderful. I'm surprised and excited when I am carefully sculpting a fleur de lis one minute, and holding the finished product,a beautiful silver swan, in an hour! Sometimes my wire knows what it wants to become even when I don't!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite thing about creating is that moment of blissful satisfaction when you finish something, sit back, sigh, and say to yourself "wow, I really AM an amazing artist". Gives me the warm fuzzies every time I look at it after that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing everyone!

    Lori, I am a visual person too, but lately I have been asking a lot of artist what inspires them and listening to their stories has changed my ideas about creativity. I am glad this post gave you a new perspective.

    Honkus Grogana, That happens to me as well when I am creating. I went to your blog and the swan ring it's very cool!

    Kziegler, you are an amazing artist, I love your books! That is a great moment when you finish a piece, it makes me feel good too.

    I look forward to hearing more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite thing about creating is getting so caught up in the words coming out of me that I impress and please myself with the end result. Sometimes, I get going so fast that I don't remember writing that later.

    I have loved reading this post and all the answers thus far! I will definitely be checking back on this post!

    -Tiffany Rainey with Will Write 4 Food

    --Home--
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.weebly.com

    --Blog--
    http://tiffanywillwrite4food.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tiffany, getting caught up is the best part of creating.

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!