9.26.2009

Awaken Your Creativity - With The Right Book

I love journals and sketchbooks. I have several that I have never even used because I think they are too pretty to write in. That is the wonderful thing about journals and sketchbooks, their are so many to choose from that you can find something special to suit all your needs and moods.

These days you can find a book that suits your needs from pretty much anywhere. I recently saw some really nice books at my grocery store. When you are looking for a book, you need to find something that will work for your specific needs. If you are just using it for writing a lined journal may be best. If you are sketching, doing college, collecting things, then try a blank book.

There are many sources for finding unique handmade books. Etsy is a great place to start. Here are a few of my favorites. They are so beautiful, they are just waiting for you to fill the pages.

























You can buy a nice simple blank or lined book and make it your own. Embellish the cover with photo's, college on your favorite items, cover it with pretty paper, that is the best part of a simple book, anything goes.

I created my own combinations by using a leather cover with a binder in the center and pockets on the sides, I added a sketchbook into one pocket, lined paper, a calendar, and my address book in the binder section. I really like having everything in one place, and only one book to carry around.

Remember to choose a size that works best for you. I have a small notebook I keep in purse for those notes I need to write when I am on the road. There are also fun shapes available too, so experiment till you find something you love.


Opening you book to those blank white pages can be daunting. Why not embellish them a little. Stamp you pages with encouraging words and designs, add a watercolor wash to a few pages for colored paper, or add envelopes or pockets for collecting thing. You can also do a combination of all these ideas, and I am sure once you get started you will come up with more ideas.

Remember keeping a journal is a journey of self discovery. Why not do it in a style that makes you happy.

Check out last weeks post for info on why keeping a journal/sketchbook is good for your creative process.

Have some ideas that have made your journal and sketchbook unique, I would love to hear them.

Do you make journals/sketchbooks? Share your link.

Add To Google BookmarksStumble ThisFav This With TechnoratiAdd To Del.icio.usDigg ThisAdd To RedditTwit ThisAdd To FacebookAdd To Yahoo

Pin It

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the mention! Love the post. I love hearing the stories from my customers to see what they are using the journals for, from wedding memories to baby memories. I have the best "job".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep art journals, but make my own by gessoing the pages of old out of date textbooks my mom brings home from the school she works at before they toss them in the trash. I never have to worry about ruining the pritine pages of a beautiful leather bound or someone elses beautiful handmade books.
    Thanks for the post. It reminds me that I have not journaled in some time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love books and journals!! Great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I definitelly needed to read this post and THANKS for writing it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and ideas are an important part of the conversation, thanks for sharing!